Friday 5 April 2024

No Buy Year: What I Bought In March & If Failing Was Worth It


It's that time of the month again where I discuss my purchases for the month. Following January and February where I failed my No/Low Buy Year miserably, was I able to resist whipping out my credit card in March?! 

This post also discusses past 2024 purchases and if what I bought was worth it.



> What I Bought:

I was all on board to say nada, zip, nothing. In fact, I even wrote it before I snapped and bought a jumper from Savers for $14.79 - and yes, again, I hate myself for it! But it was green and black striped, and I couldn't resist -- but now I see it as a bad purchase (but more on this down below...) .

I actually returned to Savers towards the end of the month and wanted a couple of things. I was with my sister who said, "you already failed so why not just buy it?!" but I happily walked away with nothing. 

I was very tempted early on, especially on this one poodle jumper on the Salvos website. But I kept telling myself that it wasn't my colour, I'm not a dog person and the fit/length wouldn't be ideal. I even went as far to consider buying it AND a plain jumper and transferring the poodle graphic onto the other. Like, I said, I was TEMPTED! But I was REALLY determined to have a good month and I'm so proud of myself! Even reading this back now, I'm like, "Oh yeah, that jumper" so clearly, I didn't want/need it at all.

I was also tempted by a Barbie t-shirt so much so that I drove back to the store hours after I first saw it. I tried it on but didn't like it, luckily, although maybe that was more willpower than anything else. The last thing I need is another t-shirt... I have SO many as is!

I did have to replace some skincare items, which isn't against the rules. I stopped kidding myself that my old go-to moisuriser hadn't expired (it was clumpy, yellow and the oil was separating from the cream), so I decided to buy a new drmtlgy one ($49.10) as well as the luminous eye corrector ($55.68) as they had 30% off. Replacements are allowed and I clearly needed it, so that's okay. 

I will admit though, I was tempted to replace all my other skincare products. I actually ran out of my Hyder-Fader in mid-March but the 30% off sale had finished by then and I refuse to buy anything from their website if not on sale. The problem is I can't see into the bottles, so I don't know when I'm running low. But for now, my other serum and cleansers all seem okay (and I'm hoping to hold out until their boxing day sales). Not sure about my other products but will repurchase as needed.

For anyone wondering, I last bought the Universal Tinted Moisturizer (which I still use today) and Hyder-Fader in January 2023. My Needle-less Serum is from March 2021, but I only use it once a week on average - and it's probably not good to keep your products for this long but I'm trying to use it more frequently. It was bought during covid and f*ck if I had any motivation to take care of myself back then, so it sat idle for a while.

Total Spent: $14.79

In terms of cinema, I went twice. Once to see Waitress the musical (full priced ticket for $18ish) and the other was for Ghostbusters: Frozen Empire which my friend paid for the ticket, food and drink. As for theatre, I went once - WICKED. The tickets were free, but the programme cost $30.

So far, I've made $674 from selling my used items in last month's declutter.


> Things Previously Purchased - Good Decision or Not?

We're into the fourth month of the year and I thought it could be fun to go through the items that I did purchase during my failed JanuaryFebruary and March months and see if what I did buy was worth breaking my No Buy Year for (not including gifts and other necessities - see previous entries). 

1. Black &me/Big W Dress - YES!

100% YES! I've lost count of how many times I've worn it! Definitely one of the best replacement items I have purchased in many years. It's so versatile and very me.

2. Blue's Clues Earrings - No

I still adore them, but I haven't gotten much in terms of wear.

3. Peter Alexander PJ Shorts - Kinda

This one is tricky because even with a larger replacement size, I still prefer the fit of my other pj shorts. I have worn them many times and I do adore the print. My heart says yes but my head says no. 

4. Lenni Romper - No

Again, this one is tricky, because the print failed me. It's difficult to put into words but basically with styles where the print varies, you never quite know what you're going to get. In terms of what I got; I didn't get any of the main print on the front of the romper. It would have been too much of a hassle to send back, so although I like it and have worn it quite a bit, I'm always that little bit frustrated when I wear it. Also, for its original price, I don't think the quality matches that high price tag.

5. Black Dress - No

It is a winter dress, so I still haven't worn it but I'm going to with no on this one.

6. Dusk Lobster - Kinda

It's still in its box but I love it. It's put away for when I move.

7. Drinking Glasses - Kinda

I haven't used them yet (will when I move), but I still very much like them. 

8. White Fox Loungewear - No

I sold both pieces :) 

9. Noel Fielding T-shirt - No

I've decided to sell it.

10. Novo Shoes - Yes!

I've worn them a lot :)

11. Scorpio Necklace - Yes

It's currently my go to necklace :)

13. ASOS Dress - Yes

It's become a wardrobe staple of mine and was perfect for Wicked opening night.

14. Video Game - Kinda

It has kind of taken over my life but I'm loving it!  

15. Sweatshirt Jumper - No

This is another difficult piece because although I love it, I haven't gotten any wear out of it. Granted, the weather has been too hot to wear it but perhaps my feelings will change in cooler weather.

16. Savers Jumper - No

Although I love the colours and do plan on wearing it, it wasn't a necessary purchase.


So, as you can see, ... Seeing all those nos has really helped motivate me to not spend in April... 

Until next month! x

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...