Thursday 30 May 2019

Ramblings from a former hoarder to now minimalist




I've been thinking a lot lately about my journey from hoarder to minimalist over the past couple of years. I'm unsure why it's been on my mind so much lately, but I've been looking at what I own and deciding what I would take with me if I was to move overseas or downgrade. And it's been very therapeutic and eye opening, because there's not that much I would take with me.  

Don't get me wrong - I love SO much of what I own, but most of it I don't need. Need is very important to me. Today I only buy items I need or, on very rare occasions, love. 

I went shopping with my Mum on Mother's Day a couple of weeks ago. There was a gorgeous hot pink dress on sale for $19. Mum said I should get it. My response that although I liked it, I simply didn't need it. She then stretched how cheap it was. But if I don't need/love it - wouldn't it be better to save my money and spend it on something I do need/love?

I've been watching a lot of clothing haul videos and wardrobe tour/clean outs on youtube and it amazes me how much stuff people have. I'm not saying don't buy - each to their own. But I personally don't find joy in being surrounded by stuff anymore. I'd rather spend my money on concert tickets, musicals, travel - things things like that that make me happy. Every time I go to a musical, I buy a program. Do I need it? No, of course not. But I like having it as a little memento - so to me, it is a need. Not in the conventional sense, but to me it is.

I'm not following Marie Kondo's 'only keep items that spark joy' philosophy, because if I did that, there would be very few things I own. In terms of clothing, I have a navy, floral kimono in my wardrobe that I bought for a cruise in 2016. I didn't like it when I bought it. I don't like it now. I don't like it when I wear it. But, I do wear it ... Why? I have a very few summer item in my wardrobe, but it's the perfect clothing piece to take away with me and wear in warmer climates. So, I keep it. If I followed her rules, guaranteed it would be the first thing to go. I have many items in my wardrobe that I don't particularly like, but they're good to have. 

I don't believe in the 'if you haven't worn it in a year, get rid of it' rule either. Because I believe some items aren't right for then now. I remember once buying a beige coat. It was expensive and I was very hesitant, but I ended up getting it. It sat in my wardrobe for years unworn, but I couldn't bring myself to get rid of it. And then sure enough, years later it became a wardrobe staple. It doens't always happen of course, but there are some things worth holding onto. 

I don't have a neat philosophy to share and I'm certainly not telling people not to buy things or get rid of things, but as I look over the items I have, it's made me appreciate them even more. This applies to clothing, accessories, homewares, prints, dvds, books - everything. I just don't have the same love for stuff anymore that I used to have - and that feels good. 

As a disclaimer, apart from costume pieces I've bought lately (because I am working on some costumes so I've been buying random, useless pieces - like a safari hat), the only clothing I've bought this year has been a dress  from Forever New and a skirt from Dangerfield. And I'm content with that.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...