Wednesday, 5 August 2026

ARTICLE: 10 Best Clothing Pieces I've Ever Thrifted


I'm not exclusively a thrifter. I buy clothes from regular stores too when I'm looking for
something in particular, but generally these days, I try to shop secondhand as much as possible. 

Earlier this year, I wrote my Can I Thrift Better Than A Paid Stylist? article, so it's no secret that
I've been doing a bit of thrifting this year, more so than previous years. So, I thought it might
be fun to look back at the ten best clothing pieces (including shoes) I've ever thrifted.

This doesn't include clothing items I've specifically searched for (like on Depop or eBay) but items
I stumbled upon by chance. It also includes both online and offline secondhand purchases.




10. Into dress

The only reason this dress is at number ten is because every time I wear it, the colours don't feel like me. I love the print and ADORE the style of it, but I always feel off when I wear it. I've thought about dying it a deep eggplant purple but then I go back and forth. I found it at a Savers store.



9. Big W skirt

This is my latest thrift find as I only bought it yesterday at the Salvos. I had bought a skirt for $9 while I was in the city and although I loved the hot pink colour, it had a weird band around the waistline which didn't suit my body shape. I thought that might have been the case when I found it, but I hadn't had time to try it on. So, I decided to return it for a refund, but then I found this beauty for $7. It's more of a rust or burnt orange than it looks in the photo, but I thought it was a really unique-looking piece. It was also new with tags so never worn.



8. Star mules

These star mules are put away with the rest of my summer shoes so I can't currently access them so please enjoy this photo of me wearing them in Costco. I saw these at Savers but didn't buy them, only to return the following day to see if they were still available. They say size 6 on the bottom but did feel big on but I loved them too much anyway not to get them. I later discovered they're a UK brand so a size 6 is actually a size 8 - so they're BIG but I continue to wear them anyway. I am curious if a shoemaker could cut part of the back off to make them fit better but I have yet to look into it. I believe they are originally from Pretty Little Thing.



7. Studded boots

Can you believe I got these boots for $12?! They're the most beautiful and unique boots I think I own. I found them on the Salvos website but being leather, of which I don't wear/buy, I didn't buy them. I kept them on my wishlist though just to keep an eye on them as they're too wonderful to end up in landfill. And well, no one bought them. They even went to half price for the week and still nobody had bought them, so at that point I decided that they hadn't been bought because I was meant to own them. So, I bought them and I LOVE them! 

Many people are wary about buying secondhand shoes because they've had bad experiences. And maybe that's why they didn't sell. One of the zips broke (I use a tie to pull it up), the fabric was peeling and the sole came off, but the shoemaker was able to clean them up for cheap. They were worth the extra hassle to fix them.



6. Miss Selfridge blazer

I mentioned this Miss Selfridge blazer in my 20 New Clothing Items In 2026. What Have I Worn? article. I hadn't been looking for a blazer, but I like that this one is lighter than my other plain black blazer but weightier than my one with the lace so it's a good in-between piece to own. I got it for $4 from my local charity shop. 



5. Black skirt

I spoke about this in my Can I Thrift Better Than A Paid Stylist? article but I got it for $5.50, half off from a Salvos. It's such a unique skirt (it has no brand tag) with the chevon detailing at the bottom. I feel like I'm always drawn to more unique pieces that suit my personal style and this encompasses all of that. 



4. Glittery boots

I feel like how I came to get these boots is more interesting than these brand-less boots themselves. But I was going through a rough time and had just cried my eyes out at an appointment I definitely didn't feel emotionally ready to attend. Afterwards. I was walking back to the train station when I decided to stop in at the Salvos for some retail therapy. I saw them as soon as I walked in, loved them and bought them on the spot. I feel like they had been waiting for me because they're perfect and SO comfy! They were practically new when I got them too.



3. Tokito dress

This dress came from my Can I Thrift Better Than A Paid Stylist? article, so it's one of my more recent thrift finds. I spoke about it in that article, but I saw it, decided not to get it and ended up going back for it no less than 20 minutes later. I paid $4 (half price off) at Vinnies. The quality and fit are incredible!



2. Bird skirt

I found this skirt on the Salvos website in 2022 for $25 and immediately bought it. I adore a bird print, and this one is very unique with the vines and almost dead-like leaves. You can see one way I styled it here.



1. Greg Sernack vintage dress

I LOVE this dress! It was such a find. I got it for around $10-$20. I have a short torso so I will always gravitate to a sheath style dress - plus it has sparkles and looks so amazing on. Honestly whoever gave this up THANK YOU! I can't find any information online, but it's an Australian brand and is probably from around the 1980s-1990s. 

You know it's a find when a girl is eyeing it off after you've picked it up!



-


I know it's a lot of black... I do thrift colour too! Special mentions to my purple tartan dress I found instore and then tracked down a smaller size online. Or the green/black checked dress I saw someone wearing on Instagram that I later found on Depop. Or the maroon/purple tartan top I found in store and then found a larger size on Depop. Or the blue/green tartan coat and scarf I spent sooooooo long looking for!

I didn't put them on this list as I actively went looking for them. I'm still on the hunt for a hot pink sequin skirt, dusty blue jumper, orange chunky cardigan and black studded skirt. One day, I guess.

x

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...