
If you're interested in what went down or merely curious - this is what happened.
Disclaimer: this was my experience and experience may vary.
I'm unsure where the idea to go to a student salon first came from. My sister thinks she sent me the link months ago, so we'll go with that. How she found out about it, I don't know but I somehow became the guinea pig.
A student salon is a training salon for students studying hairdressing. Under supervision by salon and teaching staff, a service is provided at a discount rate so students can get vital practice in during their education.
*
My Regular Salon:
Back in February I went to my normal salon for a colour. While there I discussed with my hairdresser of putting in blue highlights but keeping the rest of my hair a dark brown/black. I'd always wanted to put blue in my hair and often go blue black, but my hair fades quicker than it used to, so I was just basically fed up and willing to try something new. My hairdresser said that we could try.
I wanted something like the images below:

I'd been using Redken's Volume Injection shampoo and conditioner and hadn't been overly impressed with it, not enough to justify the price anyway, so had recently switched to a cheap brand while looking for something better. So, I'm unsure if it was the cheap shampoo or conditioner or I had accidently used my Pureology Color Fanatic Leave-In Hair Spray that week, but the bleach reacted with my hair and had to be washed out sooner.
From there a blue toner was put on my hair at the basin. You could see a bit of blue but as my hair hadn't lightened enough, the results were subtle. My hairdresser said that the highlights hadn't worked so I didn't get charged for them - but it still cost me $200 overall. And I went back a week later to get more blue toner put in my hair because one of the sections of bleach had been missed.
I wish I had complained further because I've always preferred having darker hair but now, I had bleached yellow highlights on light brown hair with darker bits at the end. I absolutely HATED IT!
The photo below is the best photo I've got sadly...

Suffice to say I was basically willing to give anything a go at that point.
I was just adamant that I didn't want to waste another $200 on another bad dye job just to end up with brown highlighted hair. As a disclaimer, objectively there's nothing wrong with my colour above, but it just wasn't what I wanted, nor what I feel comfortable with. I feel more like myself when my hair is darker. I always have.
So, when my sister found Chisholm's Mysa Salon and Spas, I was immediately intrigued.
The prices were genuinely too good to be a true and although nervous, if they screwed up my hair at least it would cost me no more than $50 - a price I was willing to pay at this point to fix this mess.
Trying To Make An Appointment
There are four salons in Melbourne - Frankston, Berwick, Dandenong and Rosebud. I knew I wanted to choose a salon close to a train station so that left me with Frankston and Berwick as options.
I tried Frankston a couple of times in April, May and June and no one ever answered their phone, and I eventually decided to leave a message. I might have left more than one, I can't remember exactly. But I never heard back from them. I'm unsure if this is the norm but I still haven't heard from them.
I then decided to try Rosebud and Dandenong a couple of times. Both phones weren't answered (again not sure if this is the norm) so I ended up leaving a message with both. I'm unsure if I tried Berwick or not.
Sick of waiting I did go back to my regular salon and got a haircut at the beginning of July. I also moved in mid-July, so a lot of time leading up to July was dedicated to moving so my mind was elsewhere as well and dates are a little confusing. I'm unsure how long I'd been at my new place when I missed a phone call from someone else. I checked my messages and discovered that Dandenong had called me about a month prior and I'd missed it.
I called Dandenong back and they called me back right away. The whole process was quick and simple. They asked what I wanted and when I wanted to come in, and I was booked in within five minutes.
Getting My Hair Done
The day finally came to get my hair done. I was nervous. Would my hair once again turn out to be a disaster?
With a nearby train station being out of the question, I had to take a bus. I arrived with no idea where I was going. I had looked at a map before I left and new Building P was near the road I was on, but I somehow still ended up walking completely around the building before finding the main door (which was where I first started).
I was a little early but was directed to my seat right away by the young girl doing my hair. Let's call her Sally. She was really nice and kind, and the teacher instructed another student - let's call her Jane - to help her because of the amount of hair I have (it's long and thin, but I have a LOT of it, so it looks thick). Jane said she didn't need me to pass the class, but I was to be part of the Sally's assessment. Which I actually found reassuring.
Sally asked what I wanted done. We discussed different coloured dyes and looked at options. I had originally been scheduled to get a semi-dye, but I knew I wanted permanent, so she double checked that with the teacher too. Because I had regrowth, bleach and different hair dyes running through my hair, different dyes were to be used on different parts of my hair. I also overheard them mentioning that I was going up one or two shades darker than my natural hair colour, so was told that mine was a relatively easy dye job. Again, reassuring.
Sally asked if she could take a photo of my hair before she did it. I agreed as long as my face wasn't in it. She showed me the before and after photos too at my request at the end which I appreciated. I wish I got a copy!
Some older ladies were already getting treatments done. The lady beside me was getting a full colour - her hair looked yellow, but she ended up with nice brown highlights. Another lady was getting a trim. I could hear the teacher yelling at students for doing things wrong, but she would come around every so often and help them.
I know yelling sounds bad, but there was a kindness there. More pushing them to do their best, rather than just saying they were doing a sh*t job. And if they were having any issues, she was right beside them showing them what to do and referring them back to their course work. I never felt like I wasn't in safe hands.
I was given a quote and papers to sign - just the general waver that I understood that the work was being done by students. I was also told that if I wanted to get a haircut, it would only cost me an extra $2 - but I had gotten a haircut not that long ago and I'm trying to grow my hair. So as tempting as that was, I declined the offer.
We were on our way. Sally and Jane disappeared for a while mixing together the blue-black dye.
Then they both started dying my hair - first starting on the crown (they kept mentioning the hot cross bun method, whatever that meant) and then the sides. We chatted a little here and there but being students, I didn't want to distract that too much and muck up their work. I thought less of it as me getting a service but more a partnership - like we were both getting something out of it, and I was happy to help where needed.
The teacher came by every so often and double checked their work. The only negative I heard was that she wished their work was cleaner but that they were doing a really great job. And I believed her, as the girl doing the blonde lady's hair was yelled at for not covering all the hairs properly. So at least mine was going well.
Once the dye was applied, they cleaned the dye from my skin (which honestly was the best anyone has ever done it for me), set a timer and waited. It was then time to wash the dye out and again, they did the best job anyone has ever done for me. A common thing for me is not getting all the dye underneath but they made sure to.
Bonus Extras
While I was at the sink, they teacher asked if I wanted to get my make-up done for free as someone studying make-up needed to do a make-up look in order to pass her class. I tentatively was going to a gig that night and said that I would. But then it turned out they didn't someone right away so someone else took it.
I was then told that they beauty salon needed people for a free mani-pedi, so I said yes to that. Then I was told that they only needed me for a pedi. Then they didn't need me at all. But then was told that I was booked in for a mani-pedi, along with the lady with the blonde hair. All very confusing.
Our appointment was at 1pm though so we had about an hour to blow dry my hair which they would be able to do. And if not, I would have just skipped the mani-pedi. Sally and Jane asked how I liked my blow dry, and I said I like it smooth (like straight-ish) but not flat. I like some volume. The teacher and students disagreed with how to best do is, as well as curl the ends. If I had been pickier, I would have gotten the final say but I generally don't care how much hair looks after a blow dry (as long as no flat), so I left it up to them.
Sally then took a final result photo - and the result was extraordinary. You could definitely see a hint of blue coming through and it was sitting so nicely. I felt like myself again, which was the best feeling overall. Suffice to say I was happy with the service. And in the end, it only cost me $38 for colour and blow dry - incredible!
The photo below was taken the next day:

My Free Mani
I had arrived at 10am and left the hair salon at 1pm for my mani-pedi appointment. I had no idea where I was going but followed the map as best I could. I hadn't eaten anything all day and was starved so rushing was difficult. Luckily, I could see the lady with the blonde hair in front of me, so I followed her for part of the way.
We arrived in Building T, but no one was around bar one class. Eventually we found someone, but they had overbooked or something so there would be a bit of a wait for me. The blonde lady left but I agreed to stay.
Turns out I wasn't needed for a mani as all the students had done enough of those to pass. But the teacher asked a student if she would do one for me while I was waiting for the student doing my pedicure to be free.
The girl - let's call her Tiana - was quiet but kind. You could tell she was rushing a little at the end because she messed up a nail twice and had to redo it. I can't blame her though as she wasn't being graded and had a three-hour public transport journey ahead of her. She also left my arms very sticky. I think it was due to the mat getting sticky, my arms being sticky and then mat/arms being sticky, so I washed it off at the end. Maybe more of a personal preference thing but I hate oils and sticky hand creams. It's just not my personal thing.
She did a good job though. My nails looked nice. I chose to go with white - my usual colour - and went with an almond shape. It's a week later and only now is the white starting to peel off (and I've forced a lot of it too!)
Tiana also complimented me on my nails. She told me they were wide and smooth, and a joy to paint. She had no reason to lie, and I've had compliments on my nails before, so I appreciated the compliment.
My Free Pedi
Then it was time for my pedicure. I hadn't been expecting to get one that day, so my legs were a little prickly but the girl - let's call her Emilia - laughed and said hers are the same. English wasn't her first language so there was a bit of a language barrier. But she was sweet also and was more interested in the make-up aspects of the course, which she would be covering the following semester.
She gave me paperwork to sign while my feet were soaking.
They didn't have those spa seats that are usual at a salon. They had a bench, like what you'd see in a doctor's office, with an adjustable headboard. It wasn't an issue though - just an observation.
Emilia was very gentle and did an amazing job! It was nice learning a bit about her. Being for assessment, they only had white, red, pink or French to choose from. I asked her what colour she had practiced the least with and she said red, so she painted my toenails a bright red colour. She showed the teacher my nails when she had finished, who signed off on them, and I was given a feedback form.
We chatted a little afterwards while she packed up her gear. She also complimented me on my nails, saying they are very smooth and the person before me had rough very, ugly nails. Other students remained too.
The Following Day
The following day I went to the shops to get my eyebrows done. I sat down in the seat and the lady working there stroked my hair and said, "so nice". I thanked her and told her that I'd gotten it done the day before. She repeated, "so nice." That's never happened to me before, so I'll take that as a good sign.
*
All up I had a very positive experience and would recommend if you're wanting to get your hair done. My sister has now finally taken the plunge and is going to get a cut and colour next week.
Find out more about Chisholm's Mysa Salon and Spas here.
No comments:
Post a Comment