
I wasn't planning on seeing any of the Harry Potter films in cinemas for the 25 years of magic re-release, but when I heard that my favourite of the films was to be shown in 4DX, I was immediately intrigued. I had wanted to see The Lord of the Rings: The Two Towers in 4DX but it didn't end up working out. So, despite the fair and valid online hate for JK Rowling, I thought I'd see Chamber of Secrets and check out what 4DX is all about.
Village Cinemas writes this on their website:
"4DX at Village Cinemas is Australia’s first fully immersive cinematic experience, combining motion, scent, wind, water, and lighting to bring films to life in ways you've never felt before. Feel every twist, turn, and explosion as if you're part of the action. Whether you're dodging raindrops, braving a storm, or sensing the heat of battle, 4DX transforms storytelling into an unforgettable adventure."
But still, I didn't really know what to expect. It's one thing to read about it and another to experience it. I just knew I wanted to finish my choc top before the seats started moving (after the movie the people behind me had left popcorn all over the floor, whether from motion or not I don't know).
If a brand brings out a new flavour of food, I'll usually try it. Village brought out four house choc tops to celebrate the re-release - cinnamon (Gryffindor), honeycomb (Hufflepuff), blueberry (Ravenclaw) and chilli chocolate (Slytherin). Apart from the latter, I'm keen to try them all (although I probably won't get the chance).
I decided to start with the cinnamon as it interested me the most. It was delicious and comparable to Coles' gingerbread ice-cream or Aldi's speculoos ice-cream, with its warm spice notes. I'd get it again.


I ate the last of the cone as the movie started.
COS starts in the clouds, so a cooling mist overcame the theatre as the chairs began to gently sway in time with the movement on screen. It was incredibly relaxing and one of my favourite parts.
Especially in comparison to the chaotic fight scenes that we'd later experience.
I was impressed with the expert synced timing of everything. I'm unsure who to credit with that but when action was on screen, we felt every bit of it. It was really well done and people clapped at the end.
Other memorable moments included:
- getting sprayed in the face with water when Harry spits out the Skele-Gro*
- feeling things brush beside our heads during the spider scene
- rapid movement and wind during the Quidditch scenes
- light flares during wand fights
- getting sprayed in the face with water when Harry spits out the Skele-Gro*
- feeling things brush beside our heads during the spider scene
- rapid movement and wind during the Quidditch scenes
- light flares during wand fights
- water dripping from the sky during water scenes
- being prodded in the back when the pixies flew around the classroom
- a light at the back of the theatre flicked when lightning was on screen
- more water/movement during the climax with the basilisk
- being prodded in the back when the pixies flew around the classroom
- a light at the back of the theatre flicked when lightning was on screen
- more water/movement during the climax with the basilisk
*The Skele-Gro got the most laughs out of everyone as it was so unexpected (we'd only had water come from the ceiling up until then, not from the front). You can turn the water effects off though if you prefer.
The only thing I didn't experience, as promised, was scent. I assume it depends on the film itself.
Overall, I'm glad I saw it in 4DX. It certainly was a unique experience, and it was nice re-visiting COS. I may be the only Gilderoy Lockhart fan out there, but I loved seeing him on the big screen again.
Although I enjoyed it (a lot actually), I thought that a lot of the movement took me out of the movie. I suppose it would be better seeing something I didn't care to focus on the story - like a Transformers movie or something high action where plot doesn't matter. That's a personal preference, but at times I felt nauseous.
But despite everything, again, I would recommend it if you're curious because like I said, it's a unique experience. It was like being on a roller-coaster for over two hours. Just pick a movie wisely.
-
4DX is only at Village Cinemas, Century City (285-287 Springvale Rd, Glen Waverley VIC 3150)
No comments:
Post a Comment