Thursday 1 August 2024

No Buy Year: July aka My Worst Month Yet!


So, let's talk July.

Spoiler, I did poorly.


> What I Bought:

*1. Boots $49

If you've been following my blog this month, you'll already know that I bought a pair of black everyday boots at Shoe Warehouse. I spoke a little about my reasons why here but I've honestly been wearing them out almost every day (when I need to walk further than from car to venue). They're my new go-to. 

I actually spoke about needing a new pair in my May wrap up so definitely not lying =P 

2. Savers Finds $10ish

I bought a cover up and blouse at Savers. I've put it as $10ish because I'm not exactly sure what it cost. Both pieces were around $5, and I had a 20% off coupon. The cover up will be perfect for summer - it's black like a crotchet lace - and the blouse is sheer with burnt velvet flowers and perfect for the office. I actually went into the change room with about 50 things, so I did well to get it down to two (here's me justifying again). 

It's strange because when I started this 'No Buy Year' I had no idea where 2024 would go, but in the past month I've been getting into Pinterest again and part of that has included trying to redefine my style following the pandemic. It's time to re-embrace that corporate rock and roll style I love and compile a capsule wardrobe. 

In fact, I want to get rid of most of the things in my wardrobe, but I do wear everything from lack of choice/options. I actually did find myself back at Savers during their 50% off all clothing sale and, despite my huge basket full of stuff to try on, I ended up walking out with nothing =)

3. Cotton On Skirt $49.99

This is a little complicated but following on from my Pinterest board, a sheer lace maxi skirt like this one was right up there on my wish list. I'd seen it months before and loved it but held off but once it kept popping up on Pinterest and I saw ways I could style it to match my wardrobe, I was sold. I would have preferred to buy something second hand, but I looked and looked and looked and then gave in. More on this below.

4. Ceramics $50

I went to two separate artsy markets and ended up buying two different ceramics ($35 and $15). I actually bought the $35 one so I wouldn't be tempted by the $15 one, but I ended up buying both. 

I probably regret the $35 more even though the lady working there was SO incredibly lovely and I'm glad that I could support her, but I also regret the $15 one as it was too expensive for what it was - and, in reality, I should have spent more for a bigger one, but I was worried by how much money I had.

I actually went to the markets to exchange a candle. I had a big candle and am allergic, so the owner is going to melt it into tea lights for me. It just ended up being a more expensive trip than planned.

5. Bird Earrings $80

I bought these after a lot of careful thought about wanting a pair of large earrings. I went between two - vampire teeth or birds. The birds are a safer bet. 

6. Savers Earrings $3.99

Yes, I bought again... but they were sparkly vintage leaves, and I couldn't resist...

7. Candle $75

This was a weak market moment, but I love the look of it so much. I'm sad I broke my "only for right now" rule but it is what it is. It'll look nice when I have somewhere to display it :/

8. Merch T-shirt $36

I simply wanted to support an upcoming artist that I adore. Nothing more.

9. Merch Jumper $30

Then I bought a merch jumper on Depop. Originally $100, down to $30. 

*10. Savers Haul $15.95

I found myself at Savers once again and I found my favourite plates - which falls under my allowed category - as I buy them when I find them as colours end up discontinued and they're great a great price anyway. I got three plates for $3.99 or $1.33 each (they retail for $12.95 each brand new). While there, I ended up buying a super thick burnt orange cardigan - yes unnecessary but will wear.

11. Big W Haul $60

The same day I went to Savers, I went to Big W to try on some pants. I didn't like them on, but I ended up buying two dresses and a white shirt. The white shirt I'd been wanting for a while for under my dresses with the collar sticking out, but I only have long sleeved shirts, so I bought a cheap short sleeved one for $10. 

I also bought two dresses - one black (similar to the one I bought in January) and the same in a pinstripe. The black I probably didn't need but the biggest issue with the one I bought in January is that its sleeves are quite bulky so it's impractical under jackets or blazers which is a pain for me. The other one I loved the print, and I can see myself wearing it a lot. 

To be fair to myself though, I did have $50 in vouchers, so it only cost me $10 in total... not that that makes it any better of course, but it looks better on my bank statement anyway haha.

*12. Jumper $30

So, when I went to New Zealand many, many years ago, I bought a jumper in a men's large wanting that oversized look. But the sleeves were SO long, and I was short on money, so I ended up selling it - something that I've always regretted. I've wanted to replace it ever since then so when it popped up on Depop, I jumped. It hasn't arrived yet but hopefully I still have love for it. And hey, this falls under one of my allowed categories, so, score!

13. Artwork $100

Have you heard of the Incognito Art Show? There's over 17000 pieces of A5 art for sale (each for $100), with the proceeds going to charity. It's a great cause and I wanted to support them by buying one print. The coolest thing is that you don't know whose art you're buying/bought until it arrives -- you could get an exclusive one-off artwork from a well-known artist or an exciting up and comer. It's a total surprise. I love that! I'd been trying to figure out which one to get for ages now and I finally made up my mind -- and I'm super excited to see it in person! If you search the website, my favourites are works 08078, 03994, 11551, 10221, 08491 and 12429.

Categories include animals, food and drink, abstract, landscape and nature, photography, multi-media and more. To say I'm not tempted to buy more is an understatement. You can also browse which artworks have already sold.

The one I got reminds me of 80s Andrew McCarthy... I wonder if you can find it.

14. Pants $39.99

So... I bought some pants. They are way too long and tight, so I need to get them altered. I'm kinda regretting buying them now, but at the same time I love them! They're SO unique and flattering on!


Total spent: $579.93ish (*or $455.94ish for items removed within the rules) 

I didn't go to the cinemas or theatre once, so I saved there :)
I also made some money selling more things online (yay!)


> What I Learnt:

I've learnt that a lot of my spending is emotional. That doesn't mean if I'm feeling like sh*t I will hit up the shops and buy something I don't need. The clothing pieces, especially, I bought were to make me feel better about myself. I have been in a fashion slump, and these will help me get out of that. Now, I'm not saying you shouldn't do a Buy No Year when you're trying to find myself - but I'm also not not saying that...

I do believe that fashion has the ability to make you feel better about yourself, and I've been trying hard to wear things that I feel good in. It's tricky as a lot of my clothing doesn't fit me and I'm super picky when it comes to what I wear and my style. I've discovered that what I like isn't regularly available in stores. I need to actively search for those special pieces. I have two pairs of thrifted shoes (boots and sandals) which both sum up my style and what kind of curated wardrobe I'd like to have. But, like I said, pieces aren't easy to find. Pieces are either too goth, punk or streamlined - and I want a mix. I need to grab it when I see it essentially. 

I did buy a blazer (not listed). It would have cost a LOT to tailor, and I'm unsure if I would even like it after all that work so I decided to send it back. I had a feeling that I wouldn't like the fit, so I have learnt to better trust my judgement. I think, too, after trying it on and not liking it, I went back to the drawing board of thinking "can I get a similar look from items I already own?" And yes. Definitely not the same but has the same vibe.

I've also become interested in the philosophy of spending. As well as emotional spending, mine comes out of boredom. If I'm bored, I window shop online (hence so many 'love' posts now and upcoming). I'm better at not buying things online but worse in person, so I got out cash and I've been using that instead of my card to give myself a limit. I have long ways to go but here's to next month anyway!

Also, some of the shopping I did was a little to piss off my parents... eck!

I'm also planning another wardrobe clear out for those pieces I put away in storage...


> Temptations:


I was in Spotlight and I was SO tempted by a Coca-Cola quilt cover set (they also had a throw and cushion). It's kitschy and I like that. I also found some Coca-Cola Christmas plates on the Salvos online - they're all Santa with either a bottle or glass of coke, WHICH I LOVE! But you can't eat off them (only decorative) so no point.

I'd been thinking that I wanted a black lace maxi dress. I keep going back and forth because I knew the style wouldn't suit me, but it didn't stop me thinking about getting one anyway. I was torn between this one from Witchery and this one from Dangerfield/Black Friday. When I was at Savers, however, I tried on a very similar dress, but it didn't suit me, so it turns out I was right about having my doubts lol.

I REALLY want some original art - glass and ceramic. I'm a bit of a collector you see. But again, that 'only for now' rule. I don't need either but gosh I'm tempted. Hopefully I can hold out... Because I own so much art already, I would prefer to invest in original, one-off art pieces. That's not to say that I wouldn't buy some art from a market or Etsy, for example, but I'm trying to shop smarter by buying pieces that make me feel good right now but might have some value in the future. But I'm also limiting my spending for now as I have little wall space left.

I'm still very tempted to buy one of the Marianas Trench new album pre-order bundles, mainly anything with the umbrella in it because it's just so very cool - but I really don't need it.

I also kinda want some things from the new Allens lolly range from Dusk. I thought about the room spray but that seems unnecessary to me. I want the tea lights and the Good Vibes Only Spinning Tealight Holder though.


Willpower is the name of the game in August x

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...