Monday, 31 August 2026

Low/No Buy Year: August 2026


This year is flying by so fast - and it scares me so!



> What I Bought:

Last month I bought a dress. I'd had it on my wishlist for a long time, and one popped up on The Real Real. I had to wait a couple of weeks as I was in-between addresses, and I didn't want it to show up to either address when I wasn't living there. It's an old Fendi x Skims dress that originally retailed for $1750US but I got it for $133US (or around $233AUD) second hand. I paid it off in four through PayPal so hence why it's in August instead of July.

I also finally paid off the artwork ($900) I foolishly purchased in November (in monthly installments). I say foolishly because I should have thought about it a little more. But it looks cute in my new space, nonetheless.

I bought two things when I went into the city to see Hadestown. The first was two bird-shaped outdoor coat hooks ($10) at an op shop. The second was a hot pink skirt ($9) at the Salvos. I didn't have time to try it on, and I was worried the band of fabric at the waist wouldn't suit me - and it didn't. So, I decided to return it for a refund. But I found another skirt ($7) and a DVD ($2) while there, so it was basically an exchange instead.

I bought a cat vase at Typo (it was $49.99 but I used a voucher, so it cost me nothing) to replace another vase but the flowers I wanted to put in it didn't suit it, so I bought five faux tulips (a much nicer fit) for $9.50 instead.

After many, many months of searching, I finally found a pink sequin skirt. I had been looking at one that was $219 but it was a little long, and the length had been the issue for most of the skirts I'd found either being too long or too short, and I really wanted around knee length which is difficult. But I found one for $60 but got a discount on it so it came down to $51*. It's by an Australian owned and designed brand which is great!

However, when it arrived, I realised that it wasn't the right fit for me. I prefer a pencil style (which it is) but in sequins I guess it's just not perfect. I can still wear it, however, just in a different way than I originally intended to. It was final sale so I couldn't return it, but I will play around styling it or sell it on Depop if it still doesn't work out. So, I found another in a different fit on Vinted ($51.48*) that works much better.

Total: $1263.98 (or $363.98 if you remove the $900 paid across 9 months)


I went to the theatre for Hadestown: Teen Edition ($20 ticket & free programme), A Beautiful Noise: The Neil Diamond Musical (free ticket & $25 programme), Ride The Cyclone ($40 ticket & $11.28 print but $0 with a voucher) and Carrie: The Musical ($35 ticket & $5 programme). I went to the cinema for Spiderman: Brand New Day ($18), Harry Potter and COS ($10) and The End of Oak Street ($20), and the drive-in for The Dog Stars ($20).

*had put on BNPL to pay off next month but paid off early as I wanted to go into September debt free ^_^



> What I Learnt:

am currently sitting here typing this out while thinking about going to two shops before other plans tonight just so I can try on more clothing that I don't actually need. This is my reasoning:

I want to look at a fancy dress that costs close to $500 but is on sale for around half price. A great bargain, indeed, although not a bargain if you don't need it and cost-per-wear would be pretty low. I have no events to wear it to, it'll show my shoulders (which I try to avoid) and be too long for me (so I'll have to get it taken up). 

The second is a jumper that is also on sale. I have been wanting a rust/burnt orange colour jumper since I foolishly got rid of the one I used to own (it was slightly too big, but I loved it and regret donating it). But it is slightly shorter than I like my jumpers to be (not cropped but doesn't cover the butt) and I'm unsure how it will look on me. It's in such a cool looking fabric though, vey textured, which could go either way.

Edit: I actually tried on the jumper and as expected, it didn't suit me. This just reinforces my decision not to buy clothing online anymore. Had I bought it online, it would have cost me to send it back, if I could at all. So, if I can try it on instore, I will. The dress I will try on next month as the store I went to didn't have it.

I'm very good at knowing what silhouettes and styles suit me and if I hesitate, there's usually a good reason that I should trust my instincts about a piece. That goes for donating too. I know now to pause if I have a nagging feeling I may actually wear something more in the future. I don't have many donating regrets, only a few.

But I'm getting to that point where I feel like I own more clothing than I'm actually aware of. And I don't even own that much clothing to begin with, so I have NO idea how other people navigate having a lot of clothing!

I'm also well aware that the six-month spending itch is coming up for me. I've spoken about this before but every six months or so after doing well, I crack and I want to spend a lot of money in one go. Even though this month was the most I have spent in a month this year, the two larger items were paid off monthly, so it softens the blow of handing over a lot of money in one go. I hope I can resist the six-month itch this time around.



> Temptations:

Op shopping in the city was quite fun because I stumbled upon the Chapel Street Bazaar which is a treasure trove of vintage and secondhand items. I liked SO many boots! I also went to three art galleries beforehand and wanted a few things. Art always tempts me, but I don't want to go on another payment plan. It's too much!

I was tempted by some Halloween decor at TK Maxx, and I almost bought Chucky season 1 on DVD at Savers

I also liked a pair of boots at an op shop (or maybe two) and some art at the Affordable Art Fair.




> So Far:

Let's continue this (striking through essentials/needs) ... things bought so far:

  • Christmas decorations x4 ($0.10)
  • Keanu Reeves book ($3.50)
  • Jewellery x4 ($70.49)
  • Charms ($30)
  • Boots x2 ($24)
  • Clothing x25 ($713.30)
  • DVDs x6 ($6.98)
  • Moisuriser ($23.40)
  • Frames x4 ($620.44)
  • Bag ($30)
  • Art x5 ($1005) 
  • Clock ($164)
  • Vase x2 ($3.60)
  • Faux flowers ($9.50)

Total: $2084.47


x

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...